How to Make a Lesson Plan?

I'm here after a long break. I miss writing a post, my school lessons were so intense that I could not find time to deal with my blog.


Today I am going to talk about how I prepare a lesson plan and then I will share a lesson plan of mine.
I have prepared my lesson plan according to the topic, the genre of the text, four skills or Bloom taxonomy. But I always shape my lesson plans according to a basic skeleton. There are always a pre-stage, while- stage and post-stage. Let's explain what they are.


I think a pre-stage of a lesson plan is the most important part. Because you prepare your student mentally and physically. You introduce the language of the text to your student implicitly in this stage. Before dealing with the text, you try to activate their schemata, their world knowledge, which they should remember to understand the text properly or enable them to connect what they had already known and what they will learn from the text. Brainstorming, creating a mind-map are the most popular techniques for students to have an idea about the topic. You can also use drama games to create a relaxed atmosphere to speak English. And you motivate your students to read the text in this stage.
You can ask some questions about the topic of the text or show some pictures to talk about the main topic. If your topic is animal, you can show some animal pictures and ask them what they see, how these animals eat, which animal they like or whether they are afraid of the animal or whether they have any pet. You shouldn't force your student to speak for only a specific tense or specific language features. You allow them to speak any language they have. If you want to focus on a specific language feature, you can prepare a questionnaire which includes this specific language feature. They can become familiar with this language feature but, again, you shouldn't force them to speak that feature. They can create their sentence with past tense, present tense, future tense or as active or passive structure. (If they make any mistakes in terms of language, be patient and paraphrase what they said in the correct version without being harsh. The most important thing is to create curiosity, build a general understanding to the text.)

After you help them to remember something or form basic understanding, you can introduce the text. It is while-stage. They are dealt with the text and related- activities. There can be basic comprehension questions, gap-filling activities, problem-solving activities, analyzing activities and so on.
After dealing with the text, you can use the text to teach grammar or vocabulary. You can prepare a task to consolidate what they learn or create a new thing. It is called the post-stage. Don't forget that you can use the same text to teach many linguistic features.


1. You can try some different formants and methods; you can move away from the traditional detailed lesson plan and find or create a practical lesson plan format for you.

2. Lesson plans don't have to be elaborate or complex. It is important to prepare a lesson plan, linked to your goals, that is understandable to the learner and is appropriate to their level.

3. Remember to consider all students and their learning style. Design simple and difficult activities in your lesson plan and make all students engage in your lesson.

4. Curriculum and pacing guides don't have to hold you back; make the learning meaningful to your students!  Help your students to build connections with what they learn and the real world. Give them the real purpose to use the language they learn in class and out of the class.






I will share my reading- lesson plan. Its format was adapted from Harmer. My topic is cheating but it is unrealistic in terms of time. It takes two or three class hours in a real classroom setting. And determining your objectives is very important, I choose them from reading macro skills. I got full points from this lesson plan.  If you want, I can explain each skill in detail according to your feedback. Don't forget that all skills are intertwined with each other; although your goal is a reading- oriented lesson plan, listening or speaking or writing skills will be involved in the lesson plan whether you are aware it or not.

First, I decide the time of the lesson plan, the number of the students, the proficiency level of my students, which topic and language area I choose, and then I start to think about my objectives and the way how I will assess them.

Second, I start to plan my activities to achieve these goals.
It is a part of my pre-reading stage. I aim to make my students curious with some questions and pictures.



I give a purpose to my students to read the text. It is very important because they have an aim to read the text, they know why they should read the text, they know what they are expected to do with the text.
Group work is the most effective way to use language. Children can learn from each other. They can learn by asking their friends about the points they hesitate to ask the teacher. They can feel more comfortable in a group environment.


I will not share appendix and the final note I will add is that your lesson plan should be related to each other. Activities should not be independent of each other. Your lesson plan should proceed in a certain order and smoothly.

Please do not use my lesson plan without permission!!!




Yorumlar